Who doesn’t love Chinese takeout?
I am not raising my hand. I am one of those lovers of takeout food. There is something so cozy and comforting about a little white cardboard box with noodles inside. I don’t know what it is… but I like it. I am also one of those freaks that loves it even more cold straight out of the fridge. Yum yum.
But, its not often that I order Chinese. In fact, I can’t even recall the last time I did. I always end up with too much food, a stomach ache, and a guilty conscience afterwards. So when I was browsing on Pinterest for dinner ideas (for the 100000th time) and I came across Rainy Day Gal’s Beef with Broccoli I was thrilled to give it a try at home. This way, I can just have the Beef with Broccoli and not be tempted to order the Crab Rangoon.
Begin by whisking together baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and vegetable oil. Start by mixing the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together and then mixing them all together. Geez… that sounded a little confusing.
When you are ready to get cooking, mix together soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour, and sherry in a small bowl. Get your broccoli ready by trimming the stems and cutting them into nice bite sized pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in skillet or wok and add broccoli. Cook for about 3 minutes or until broccoli begins to soften. Remove broccoli to separate bowl and heat remaining vegetable oil. Add marinated beef to wok or skillet along with 1/2 the sauce mixture and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. While beef cooks, continue to stir it around the skillet or wok until it is no longer pink. After 3 or 4 minutes, add in remaining sauce and broccoli. Toss together and continue to cook for 1 more minute.Serve over rice (I chose brown rice) and enjoy!That sauce was perfect for this dish! It was thick and clung heartily to the beef and the broccoli. Just how I like it. I mean… clearly I liked it. What a great, quick, delicious weeknight meal… or for a Saturday night when you just don’t feel like cooking but you don’t want to be tempted by the Crab Rangoon.
Beef with Broccoli
Prep Time: 10 minutes + 1 hour for marinade Cook Time: 8 minutes
First, marinate the meat:
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips
1. Whisk together the baking soda, sugar, cornstarch, soy sauce, water, and vegetable oil in a large bowl. Toss the steak with the marinade to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour, then proceed below.
- 1/2 c low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 heads broccoli, crowns only
1. In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, flour and sherry until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large wok or saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering. Add broccoli and saute 3 minutes, stirring often. Transfer broccoli to a plate.
3. Carefully add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the hot pan. Add the marinated meat and half of the sauce mixture and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the meat is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir in the broccoli and remaining sauce. Saute 1 minute more. Serve.
Recipe by Rainy Day Gal